Top Tips to keep you and your children Sun Ready
From Soltan & Macmillan’s Top Tips to keep your little ones Sun Ready (Soltan Sun Ready - Soltan & Macmillan’s Top Tips to keep your little ones Sun Ready)
Protecting you and your family in the sun:
We have created five top tips for you and your family to stay sun safe:
- Use a sun cream with a high sun protection factor (SPF) and UVA protection. Choose one that is SPF30 or higher and at least 5‑star UVA protection *. Follow the instructions on the bottle and reapply as recommended, particularly after swimming.
- Spending time outside enjoying the warm weather can lead to dehydration, so make sure to drink plenty of water to keep yourself safe in the sun. Don’t wait until you get thirsty!
- Cover up and protect yourself and your children’s skin by wearing a long-sleeved shirt made of cotton or natural fibres and a wide-brimmed hat.
- To protect your eyes, make sure you and your family are wearing sunglasses with a guaranteed ultraviolet (UV) light filter.
- Find a shady spot to sit and play, especially between 11am and 3pm when the sun is usually strongest.
Keeping young babies safe:
Be extra careful with children under six months; babies’ skin is much more sensitive than adult skin. Keep babies under the age of six months out of direct sunlight at all times.
Explaining the need for sun protection to children:
Applying sun cream may seem boring, but once kids learn about how it protects them from the sun’s rays, they’ll be more likely to regularly reapply. Try applying sun cream to each other to make it more interactive. Once they’re in a routine of applying their cream before sun exposure, it will become a habit and set them up for protecting their skin in the future.
You can also use Soltan’s Sun Ready activity resources, available on this website, which help teach children about the importance of protecting themselves in the sun in a fun and engaging way!
About Macmillan Cancer Support
Boots UK and Macmillan Cancer Support are working together to provide cancer information and support on the high street. For more information visit www.boots.com/macmillan
If you or anyone you know has questions or concerns about cancer, talk to Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00, open 7 days a week, 8am – 8pm or visit www.macmillan.org.uk.
* The star rating is a measure of the absorbance of UVA relative to UVB. Other brands not displaying a star rating symbol may still offer high levels of UVA protection.